Carin' for Karen

Karen tells us how crappy chemo is, and we tell her how uncrappy she is.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Chapter 3

Here we go again. I just learned yesterday that my latest CT scan shows that I have a 5.7 cm. tumor in my liver. This is the same area where the scan taken in December showed only a shard of the tumor left. I have been on chemo since the beginning of last June and it has been effective, but my doctor feels that some of the cancer cells must have mutated and become resistant to the chemotherapy.

What is the next step? Well, since fighting cancer isn’t an exact science, there isn’t a clear choice, but there are a few options. The first thing my oncologist suggested for me is see Dr. Andrew Kennedy. He performs microsphere therapy; this is a new procedure that has helped people with cancer in the liver. The microspheres are microscopic glass beads that are irradiated in Australia, immediately flown to Raleigh, and then injected into the patient by way of the hepatic artery. It is a kind of radiation therapy that is inserted into the part of the body that is infected with cancer.

I won’t know whether I am a candidate for this procedure until I see the doctor, but since I have consulted him before, I am expecting that I probably am. I will keep you posted.

Below is a picture taken at our Easter Pageant where my son played Jesus and my daughter played the violin in the orchestra. I sang in the choir, played Mary of Bethany and also helped with some of the directing. With the many hours of practices and performances I was pretty busy, but I felt so great! It was such a wonderful feeling to be active and enjoying having energy again. In fact I still feel good in spite of the disappointment of the latest development. I really am upbeat.

Thanks for checking in with me and praying. God is still hearing and answering. He isn't finished yet. This is just the third chapter in my cancer journey. There is much more to come, in fact I have hope that the best is yet to come.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Karen,
    I am following your progress and wish you all the best. Keep positive and fight with every ounce of energy. Bev

     
  • At 10:35 PM, Blogger Blessings for Bennett said…

    Hey Karen,
    I know that you already know this, but I just wanted to let you know again that I am praying for you.

    with love,
    Shannon

     

Post a Comment

<< Home